Friday, July 30, 2010

Givenchy Haute Couture Fall Winter 2010 2011

While Dominic and I have always seen the beauty and wonder in the Mexican culture, it has recently become somewhat trendy in the fashion world. Over the past year, we have seen a lot of designs inspired by the bright colors and intricate patterns of Mexican Folk Art.  Now the Givenchy Haute Couture Fall Winter 2010 2011 collection has taken the trend one step further by basing their entire collection on Frida Kahlo and Mexico's celebrated holiday - The Day of the Dead.

Frida Kahlo, whom I have mentioned before on my blog, is a famous Mexican artista who used traditional Mexican bright colors and folk art to inspire her artistic creations of shocking images of her life.  Taking cues from Kahlo, Tisci has replaced the Mexican bright colors with bright tones of gold.

La Catrina

Additionally, the silhouettes of this seasons Givenchy dresses are reminiscent of Mexico's day of the dead figurine known as the Catrina. The Catrina is a skeleton body symbolizing death, however she is always adorned in fancy attire symbolizing that even those with enough money to wear high fashion items are just as susceptible to death. I think it is kind of erie but fascinating at the same time. Inspired by this idea, Tisci's entire collection is adorned with lace, gold and more gold with skeletons poppping iup througout hte collection as they were embroidered on garments throughout the collection. As Tisci put it best, "the collection repreesnts a romantic way to see death".



I look forward to seeing the trends that are inspired by this collection as I think the combination of lace and skeletons done correclty would be amazing.


Ciao Bellas,
Karen




9 comments:

  1. HAHA. thankyou for your lovely comment! I like your blog too. I'll follow you now too! Maybe a stupid question, but if you want you can put me on you blog link list ("Blogs that inspire me"). I've started my blog a few days ago, and I hope i've got soon more followers. I'll appreciate it if you want to do it.
    Maybe we've soon again the same styled outfit!
    xoxo

    http://theonlyfashionprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the lace!

    http://fashionstatement101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! And very interesting, I didn't even realize thats what inspired this collection :D
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The collection is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these kind of blow my mind. I love them!
    I especially like the back view.

    Christy of Dress Rehearsal

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful dresses!

    Thank you for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. creepy and morbid, yet beautiful. I guess i'll always have a soft spot for lace.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, thanks for your comment!

    I love lace - I bought a cream lace jumper on Saturday, can't wait to wear it!

    Come and see that and some more of my latest purchases at my new blog and follow me too!

    http://fashionnailed.blogspot.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!! I love reading them!!!

 
Free Hit Counter