Monday, December 06, 2010

Christmas Tree Expedition

Since we live a bit of a gypsy lifestyle, I have never had a christmas tree of my very own. And although we are moving in a few weeks, I decided that I was going to put up a christmas tree anyways. 

Living in the middle of the prairies, we have only a few options as to where to can acquire a christmas tree. A) We can buy it buy it at our local gas station, B) we can go into the forest and cut one down ourselves or C) we can go to a Christmas tree farm. I prefer option C as I think it falls somewhere in the middle of options a and b. Not only is it an environmentally friendly choice but it starts the christmas season off with a feeling of old world tradition, which is sometimes hard to find in Canada. 

Joined by Dominic, my brother Chad, my sister in law Minna, and my nephew Otto, we ventured out to a nearby Christmas Tree Farm to find our perfect trees. Trudging through the snow, surrounded by various sizes and varieties of christmas trees, we weaved in and out of the tree rows searching for The One. When we finally found it, we knew right away as it seemed to just call out our name. 


Minna, Otto and I voted for Chad and Dominic to cut the trees down and load them into trucks while we went to warm up around a fire with some hot chocolate, apple cider and freshly baked cookies. And like Minna pointed out, I hope this will be the start of an annual christmas tradition.






Stay tuned for some pics of the decorated tree!!

Much Love, 
Karen

5 comments:

  1. nice saw! epicness. we only have fake ones (three to be exact) but used to have real.

    mermaidnotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, i wish that one day, i'll be able to have a real tree for christmas. we've been using the fake ones ever since.

    Janelle
    http://barestudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got a tree even though you're about to move! Looks like so much fun to do what you did, we always just go down the street and there's a place that sells trees on the sidewalk...I live in ny though, so I guess what do I expect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. too cute! i can't believe you chopped down your own tree! i am green with envy!

    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old worldly tradition of cutting down your own tree -- being able to hike through snow is a huge plus! Can't wait to see it decorated.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!! I love reading them!!!

 
Free Hit Counter